The Belle Center

History

Historically, The Belle Center was formally named The Father Belle Center after Father Vincent L. Belle who was a native of Buffalo, NY and graduated from Public School 83 and Kensington High School. He attended Canisius College and Christ the King Seminary. Ordained to the priesthood on May 31st, 1948 to Holy Cross Church, he served as an assistant pastor until his untimely departure from this life at the age of 37. He was slain on his way to visit the sick and shut-in of his parish on New Year’s Day in 1960.

The untimely death of this priest united the West Side community to proclaim that the Center be named in his memory. The then, newly erected Father Vincent L. Belle Community Center Inc. was established in 1976 at the corner of Busti Avenue and Maryland Street, in his honor. The memory of this outstanding citizen will be recalled by young and old for many generations, as one who lived his life totally dedicated to loving God and serving his fellow man. 

The Belle Center has been providing programs and services to the community for over 2 decades. The Belle Center’s former logo was a stirring combination of values that focused on the principles of learning, togetherness, love and helping. These values still permeate the dictates of operations at The Belle Center today; as its staff continues to follow in the footsteps of Father Vincent L. Belle in servicing the community by offering a multiplicity of comprehensive programs and services that promote and provide a foundation for the advancement of the citizens in Western New York.